One of the important decisions made by the 2011 General Assembly of the SOA concerned the creation of a SOA Scholarship. Its goals are to aid graduating secondary school students to pursue university level study in subject areas relevant to SHAPE objectives and develop good-will and positive focus for the SOA with current and future SHAPE personnel.
The 1000€ scholarship is for the first university year and will be awarded to graduating descendants of SOA members (i.e., children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and step or adopted children) or any graduating secondary school student sponsored by a SOA member.
To apply, seniors must be planning to enter a recognized university and to pursue primary (major) study in Languages, History, Political Science or International Relations. Academic excellence and demonstrated interest in the chosen field will be key factors in the decision.
To access the SOA Scholarship Application Form:
In addition to completing the application form, the applicant must supply ALL the following information (except grades/transcripts) in an official NATO language, i.e., English or French:
- Secondary school grades/ transcript. (attached a summary in French or English if the original is in another language)
- A signed letter of recommendation (on school letterhead) from the high school advisor or other high school instructor who is familiar with the academic abilities and achievements of the applicant.
- A brief letter of recommendation from the SOA sponsor (ONLY if not a direct descendant).
- A one page typed statement of goals, including how they relate to the promotion of the values of SHAPE, NATO and the Atlantic Alliance.
Applications will be judged by a committee convened by the Executive Committee of the SOA.
The complete application must be received by the SOA no later than JUNE 15, to include transcripts, statement of goals, and recommendation letters. Please check that the following information is complete:
- Completed application form.
- School transcripts.
- Signed statement of goals.
- A letter of recommendation from school (and sponsor if necessary).
- The completed application packet should be send to:
SHAPE Officers’ Association,
Building 102 (ATTN: Communications Division – Room 249),
7010, SHAPE, BELGIUM
Or to the following email: email@example.com
If there are any questions, please contact Mr Benoît Davin at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Scholarship(s) will be announced at the annual SOA General Assembly in October.
In February 2017, the SOA expanded its Scholarship Program to also recognize excellence among graduating students of the three High School sections of the SHAPE International School.The selection among graduating students nominated by the principals and teachers of each of the three High School units occurs in a board composed of the Director General of the SHAPE International School, the three Principals concerned and the SOA Scholarships Coordinator. The SOA Executive Committee will consider their recommendations and will make final decision about granting the SOA Scholarship award(s). This decision will be taken in time for the award to be presented at the graduation ceremony of the SHAPE International School.
SOA Scholarship recipients